This weekend we get to celebrate and honor the amazing women in our lives. I am able to have this job because 43 years ago Jeaneen McDaniel started this business with her own daughter in tow. Originally we were called the Posy Pot and eventually became known as McDaniel's Greenhouse. Jeaneen and Larry raised 4 children here. Now Bryce and I are able to help carry on the tradition with our 5 kids. Mothers, Daughters, Fathers, Sons, Grandparents, Daughters & Sons in laws, and now grandchildren get to enjoy what was started in Rix Mills over forty years ago. Happy Mothers Day weekend Jeaneen McDaniel, and all of the wonderful mothers, grandmothers and daughters we have served over the years.
father son bonding
One of the blessings of a family owned business is our children get to be part of the fun. Little Jack was helping Bryce water over the weekend. We had to pry the hose from his hands.
Store Room Facelift
We have been working this winter to update the storeroom. Stay tuned for pictures of the final product!!
2015 Taste Testing and Customer Appreciation Day
This year is our third year for our taste testing. We wanted to share some of our favorite recipes that use items from your garden or farmers market. I am trying to get all of the recipes we didn't include on our handout.....it is taking forever. But here is a start.
Sweet Pepper & Onion Relish
6 cups tomatoes, skinned seeded and diced
6 cups red bell pepper, seeded and diced
4 cups yellow onion, diced
2 cups white vinegar
11/2 cups cider vinegar
5 cups sugar
2 T salt
1 T cayenne
4 T pectin
1. Place all the ingredients, except pectin, in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1.5 hours, uncovered, stir occasionally. Add more cayenne to taste. Add the pectin and quickly bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and ladle into hot sterilized canning jars.
2. Process jars in a water bath
3. Makes about a dozen 1/2 pint jars
3lbs jalapenos, fresh and firm
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1/2 t tumeric
1/2 t celery seed
3 t garlic
1 t ground cayenne pepper
1. wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the peppers.
2. Slice peppers into uniform round slices
3. In large pot, bring cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic, and cayenne to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes.
5. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars within 1/4 inch of the upper rim.
6. Turn up heat under syrup and bring to a hard rolling boil for 6 minutes.
7. Use ladle to pour the boiling syrup over the jalapeno slices in jars. Insert skewer into bottom of jar to release any air at bottom. Wipe the rims clean, put new lid and ring on.
8. If you have left over syrup you may can it to use later as a marinade.
9. Process jars in water bath.
Strawberry - Jalapeno Jam
4 cups crushed strawberries 1 cup minced jalapeno peppers 1/4 cup lemon juice
1 2ounce pkg. powdered fruit pectin 7 cups white sugar 8 half pint canning jars, sterilized
1. Put strawberries, jalapeno, lemon, and pectin into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once simmering stir in the sugar until dissolved, return to a boil and cook 1 minute.
2. Fill sterilized jars to 1/4 inch from top rim with mixture. Wipe rim with clean paper towel.
3. Process for 10 minutes in a waterbath.
4. Let cool, label and store in a cool dark area.
Wow it's already open house again. This Friday, Saturday, an Sunday we will officially be open!! Come join us for refreshments, plants, and deals.
Even though our selling season is finished for this year we are growing plants for next year. We are working at building a larger selection of succulents. These plants are fairly easy to keep. Most need a lot of sun and just a little water. Don't let their waxy leaves fool you these plants can have very beautiful flowers.
Phew! All custom orders are planted and ready for pick up. It's been very busy but we got them all filled and looking beautiful!
Every year we celebrate the special women in our lives, those that mold and shape us. The women who changed our diapers, wiped our noses, and did many things we now do for our own children. Whether your mother loves vegetable gardening or enjoys a beautiful flower garden we have many options for these special ladies. Stop in and pick up a special surprise or plan a trip with your favorite women and spoil them with flowers. Happy Mothers Day Ladies!
It's the calm before the storm. The week has been spent catching up on refills and cleaning benches after the big open house weekend. The weather is about to break and I am guessing we will be very busy over the next week. Come on out and see what we have been planting!
Our country greenhouse was busy today. Local green thumbs must be getting the itch to play in dirt because we saw many old and new faces today. We also welcomed a few tours for local preschools. Happy earth day!